Description of Additional Expertise
PRESS COVERAGE AND OTHER MEDIA:
* 1991 TV-34 News (Monmouth County NJ) – GT Nguyen (caption name misspelled as “John Nyueng”) interviewed on camera for a segment by Liz Celeste about the Jersey Shore Medical Center SunWatch ’91 skin cancer survey, July 17.
* 2000 In the Life – a Public Broadcasting System (PBS) nationally televised news magazine program; G Nguyen featured on camera in a medical student roundtable discussion about LGBT issues in medical education in a segment entitled, "Good Medicine”, Feb.
* 2000 - Robert Wood Johnson Medicine magazine – GT Nguyen featured and quoted in “RWJMS Students Take Time-Out for Research” – an article by Toni L. Goldfarb – vol 4, no. 2, Fall/Winter; page 36-38.
* 2000 Images of Academic Excellence. University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey University Report 1999-2000 – GT Nguyen featured (with photo) and quoted in an article about new university graduates; page 11.
* 2001 The Advocate – The National Gay and Lesbian Newsmagazine – “The Out Interns” – G Nguyen was quoted in an article by David Kirby about LGBT resident physicians and medical students – 22 May; page 33-34.
* 2001 GLMA Report – G Nguyen featured in “Out and About” section regarding the 2001 article in The Advocate (page 9) and regarding the 2000 GLMA President’s Award (with photo, page 24) – Summer.
* 2003 Philadelphia Gay News – GT Nguyen photographed for article about the Police Commissioners Liaison Committee on LGBT Affairs
* 2003 Philadelphia Gay News – “Top cop attends meeting” – GT Nguyen quoted in an article by Timothy Cwiek, about the Police Commissioners Liaison Committee on LGBT Affairs – 17-23 October; pages 3-4, 12.
* 2005 KYW-TV 3 News – segment highlighting American Cancer Society/Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation Asian Breast Health Symposium (GT Nguyen was a presenter at event, but not specifically shown in the news segment) – aired in Philadelphia PA on 11 o’clock news, May 22, 2005.
* 2005 American Cancer Society of Southeast Pennsylvania 2005 Year in Review Video – GT Nguyen interviewed on camera, 22 May.
* 2006 The Nation’s Health (American Public Health Association Newsletter) – “Annual Meeting focuses on public health preparedness” – GT Nguyen pictured but not named. January/February; page 37.
* 2006 Connections (American Cancer Society PA Southeast Region Newsletter) – “Cancer Control: Breast Health…What Asian American Women Need to Know” – GT Nguyen mentioned with photo in article about a May 2006 breast cancer education and outreach event for a multilingual group of over 900 Asian women. September. 9(3):5.
* 2006 The Epoch Times. GT Nguyen mentioned with photo in a Chinese-language article about the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network’s Celebration on the Hill. September 29. In print and online at http://epochtimes.com/gb/6/9/29/n1471378.htm (last accessed 10/20/2006)
* 2006 Connections (American Cancer Society PA Southeast Region Newsletter) – “Volunteer Spotlight” – GT Nguyen featured with photo in article about his volunteer activities with ACS. December. 9(4):3.
* 2006 Connections (American Cancer Society PA Southeast Region Newsletter) – “Cancer Control: Celebration on the Hill” – GT Nguyen featured with photo in article about the ACS Pennsylvania Southeast Region Asian American Advisory Work Group participation in the ACS Celebration on the Hill in Washington DC. December. 9(4):4.
* 2006 Connections (American Cancer Society PA Southeast Region Newsletter) – “Volunteer Awards Dinner” – GT Nguyen listed as recipient of the Rookie of the Year Award. December. 9(4):6.
* 2006 Ðài Vi?t Nam H?i Ngo?i Vietnamese Public Radio – GT Nguyen’s article for the lay public about breast cancer is read on-air [in Vietnamese] by Ms. Trúc Nghiêm of Boat People S.O.S. Sunday July 30, 2006. Radio distribution 14 states, DC, and on Internet radio at www.radiohaingoai.org [Distribution areas Washington DC/MD/VA, Atlanta GA, Philadelphia PA/Camden NJ, Baton Rouge LA, Portland OR, Wichita KS, St. Louis MO, Tampa FL, Austin TX, Grand Rapids MI, Denver CO, Oklahoma City OK]. Accessed online 8/1/2006 http://www.vietnamradio.org/tuanroi/sos1.mp3
* 2007 Vietnam Public Radio – GT Nguyen taped interview from 01/25/2007 about cervical cancer and HPV vaccine. Aired May.
* 2007 On Call (An Online Magazine for Healthcare Professionals, published by BostonWorks and indexed in CINAHL.) – “In other words…Talking with Patients about Integrative Therapies” (8/21/2007) – GT Nguyen quoted in article by Helen Osborne, M.Ed., OTR/L. Available online at www.boston.com/jobs/healthcare/oncall/ and www.healthliteracy.com/article.asp?PageID=6424
* 2007 EPIC Center News (from the U. of Pennsylvania Center of Excellence in Cancer Communication Research) – GT Nguyen’s work featured in two articles: “EPIC Research Featured at Two AACR Conferences” and “EPIC Publications Update” (December, page 1)
* 2007 Simply Because. University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine Community Benefits Brochure – GTN’s community programs are described in a 2-page spread (p.38-40).
* 2008 Simply Because: a 2008 community benefit report. University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine brochure about community outreach efforts. GTN photographed in report.
* 2008 Newswise Daily Wire (journalists’ source for knowledge-based news). “Philadelphia’s Leading Healthcare and Broadcast Institutions Unite to Help the Southeast Asian Community” (3/19/2008). GT Nguyen mentioned and quoted regarding Philadelphia New Routes to Community Health project. Full article available online at http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/538752/?sc=dwhp
* 2008 The Daily Pennsylvanian. “For immigrants, a plan for better health” by Emily Garrett (3/24/2008; vol. CXXIV, no. 35; p. 5). GT Nguyen mentioned and quoted in article about New Routes to Community Health project. Article also available online at http://media.www.dailypennsylvanian.com/media/storage/paper882/news/2008/03/24/News/For-Immigrants.A.Plan.For.Better.Health-3279543.shtml
* 2008 Philadelphia Business Journal. “Group helping with health of Southeast Asian immigrants” (3/26/2008). GT Nguyen’s New Routes to Community Health project described. Penn Family Medicine cited as lead partner. Article available online at http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/stories/2008/03/24/daily20.html
* 2008 The Public Health Record (U. Penn CPHI Newsletter). GTN's work and Asian Health Initiatives featured. July 1(2):2.
* 2008 Asia Crossing Newsletter (Alzheimer’s Association of Delaware Valley). “Community Health Event” (10/20/2008). GT Nguyen named and shown in photograph taken at the MECO multicultural health fair for which he and Penn Asian Health Initiatives provided ethnic marketing support.
* 2009 Allentown Morning Call (newspaper). GTN quoted in "Officials may be teens' MySpace friends" by Veronica Torrejon (Jan 6, p. B1), last accessed online 1/22/09 at http://insight.vmsinfo.com/image_clipbook/show_article_specs.cfm?show=ocr&article_id=26763642&clip_site_id=3045&user_id=5665&txtimg_flag=0
* 2009 Nguoi Viet Daily News. "Cúm heo và cúm thu?ng: Gi?ng, nhung 'r?t khác'" by Ðinh Quang Anh Thái. This article is a transcript of an interview of GTN. Last accessed online 11/11/09 at http://www.nguoi-viet.com/absolutenm/anmviewer.asp?a=103858&z=196 (Vietnamese American newspaper, circulation 17,400; daily readership 30,000+).
* 2009 Vien Dong Daily News. "Bac si Nguyen Truong Giang: 'Dung quen chich nuga cho tre em 11-12 tuoi' " GTN interviewed and quoted with photo in article about immunization of pre-teens. Available at www.viendongdaily.com Issue 4134
* 2010 The Public Health Record (U. Penn CPHI Newsletter). GTN's work on "Our Stories Our Health" and Asian Health Initiatives mentioned. Feb 3(1):2.
* 2010 Penn Medicine - magazine for Penn alumni and friends. "Fostering a Safe Haven." Article about LGBT environment at Penn. GTN quoted regarding seeing LGBT patients. 2010 22(2):3
* 2010 Audrey - The Asian American Women's Lifestyle Magazine. "Asian Women Don't Get Breast Cancer?". GTN quoted and pictured in photo. Online access 10/30/2010
* 2011 Simply Because: a 2011 community benefit report. University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine brochure about community outreach efforts. GTN featured on booklet cover.
* 2011 Connections (American Cancer Society PA Southeast Region Newsletter) – “National Breast Cancer Awareness Month in the Asian Community” – GT Nguyen featured with photo in article about the educational program for Asian health care providers. March. 14(1):5.
* 2011 Daily Pennsylvanian "Penn Med offers increased focus on LGBT issues" by Eillie Anzilotti (4/20/2011). GTN quoted, and his work to educate Penn med students about LGBT issues is mentioned.
* 2011 Keystone Physician (Summer/Fall 2011). "CDC recognizes PAFP Foundation program". GTN shown in photo as part of article about the Pennsylvania Residency Program Collaborative (p. 18).
* 2011 Philadelphia Tribune. "Feds say men, boys need HPV vaccine: Studies show vaccination can help prevent more than just cervical cancer" by Zack Burgess. GTN quoted extensively (Oct 30).
* 2012 Simply Because: a 2012 community benefit report. University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine brochure about community outreach efforts. GTN photographed for booklet cover, quoted in 2-page spread about the Penn Asian Health Initiatives.