2011 – present Principal Investigator, Thoracic Oncology Service, Department of Radiation Oncology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
• Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)
1. Lead clinical trials detecting circulating tumor cells in patients with NSCLC undergoing definitive radiotherapy or chemoradiotherapy.
2. Author clinical protocols assessing the safety and efficacy of stereotactic body (ablative) radiotherapy for early-stage central and peripheral primary tumors.
3. Compare the efficacy of stereotactic (ablative) body radiotherapy to surgical lobectomy and surgical wedge resection.
4. Assess the safety and efficacy of thoracic reirradiation using proton beam radiation therapy.
5. Assess the correlation between tumor response to chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
6. Asses the role of radiation therapy in stage IV disease for palliation and for definitive therapy in patients with oligometastatic disease.
7. Assess the use of metformin as a radiosensitizer for lung cancer.
8. Assess factors correlating with the development of radiation pneumonitis.
• Small cell lung cancer (SCLC)