2011 – present Principal Investigator, Thoracic Oncology Service, Department of Radiation Oncology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
• Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)
1. Lead clinical trials assessing the safety and efficacy of using proton-based concurrent chemoradiation as definitive therapy and as part of trimodality therapy prior to planned surgical resection for locally advanced NSCLC.
2. Lead clinical trials detecting circulating tumor cells in patients with NSCLC undergoing definitive radiotherapy or chemoradiotherapy.
3. Author clinical protocols assessing the safety and efficacy of stereotactic body (ablative) radiotherapy for early-stage central and peripheral primary tumors.
4. Assess factors predicting for pulmonary fibrosis and determine ways to mitigate against late radiation-induce lung injury.
5. Assess the differences in normal tissue irradiation doses, patient toxicities, and clinical outcomes between proton therapy and photon therapy for locally advanced NSCLC.