Penn Presbyterian Medical Center was founded in 1871 by the Alliance of Philadelphia Presbyteries. Originally called Presbyterian Hospital of Philadelphia, it began as a small 45-bed facility on 2-1/2 acres.
Healing Since 1871
At Penn Presbyterian, our strong heritage enables us to deliver care with the humanity and medical excellence that our patients expect. We are enormously proud of our history of healing.
Nursing has strong roots at Penn Presbyterian, beginning with the establishment of a School of Nursing in 1887. The extraordinary role nurses play in providing first-rate care is recognized at Penn Presbyterian and their professionalism and dedication to patients is highly valued.
Over the years, Penn Presbyterian has grown to a modern 16-acre campus with more than 300 beds. It encompasses an impressive array of medical institutes, specialty centers and research programs, including the region's first freestanding outpatient heart facility and one of the nation's most renowned ophthalmology centers, the Scheie Eye Institute.
Penn Presbyterian?s strong heritage enables it to deliver care with the humanity and medical excellence that its patients expect. The staff is enormously proud of this history of healing.
In 1995, Penn Presbyterian Medical Center became a member Penn Medicine. As a teaching hospital, Penn Presbyterian is able to offer patients a full array of state-of-the art services, from primary and family care to the most complex medical and surgical treatment provided by a world-renowned team of medical professionals.