Level of Understanding and Developmental Stage
- Self-centered; they think concretely
- Unable to conceive the future,
but understand “yesterday” and “today.”
to parents and primary caregivers and worry
- Feelings are important and
often expressed through actions.
being hurt or getting sick as caused by an
(falling off their bike or catching a cold),
but think that getting better
Helping Them Cope
- Provide brief, simple answers to
their questions and share your own feelings
the same manner.
- Your normal tone of voice and presence are
- Encourage them to express
emotions in an active way: drawing
pictures, playing outside or listening to music.
as much love and attention as
you can; hugs are very reassuring.
- Reassure the
child that they are healthy and that it is
not their fault their
parent is sick.