Level of Understanding and Developmental Stage
- Self-centered and self-reliant; working towards
- Friends are very important,
but they remain dependent on their families.
feel conflicted about being independent and
wanting to be close to
their ill parent.
- Understand the significance
of cancer and serious illnesses and will be
concerned with their parent's pain.
- Be honest and clear with them
about your diagnosis and treatment.
your child in decision making when possible.
- Encourage them to maintain their normal routine and activities.
Their friends are an important source of support.
- Offer to
speak with their friends’ parents
to explain what is happening.
- Reassure the
child that they are healthy and it is not their
fault that their
parent is sick.