Level of Understanding and Developmental Stage
- Dependent on their parents, family life and
routine, but beginning to
want to spend time outside the family with
- Beginning to think logically
and understand right from wrong.
- Able to understand
past, present and near future.
- Starting to
understand how the body works, as well as it
what it means
to be seriously ill.
- Feelings can be expressed,
but children may be overwhelmed with
Helping them Cope
- Provide clear, honest
information. Without it, they will use their
and come to incorrect assumptions.
- Ask your child if they have questions or concerns.
- Show your feelings to encourage them to share their
- Reassure the child that they are healthy
and that is not their fault their
parent is sick.