Perfectly Easy Parfaits
- 1/2 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free cream cheese
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- Fresh raspberries or blackberries
- Graham cracker crumbs or grape nuts
- Honeydew melon or cantaloupe
- Instant vanilla pudding
- Skim milk
- Fresh mint sprigs
Blend 1/2 cup nonfat ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup fat-free cream cheese and 3 tablespoons sugar.
In four parfait glasses, layer fresh raspberries or blackberries with the cheese mixture and graham cracker crumbs or a grape nuts-type cereal for more crunch. Top with a few juicy berries.
Layer honeydew melon or cantaloupe with instant vanilla pudding (made with skim milk) in a parfait glass. Top with fresh mint sprigs.
Source: "American Institute for Cancer Research Newsletter," Summer 1995, Issue 48, p. 7. www.aicr.org
Tomato Arugula Salad
Yields 4 servings
- 4 large handfuls arugula
- 1 pound cherry or grape tomatoes, red and yellow
- 2 tbsp. Chiffonade of basil (fine little ribbons)
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped shallots
- 4 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp. fruity olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Wash and dry the arugula and remove any large stems. Halve the cherry tomatoes and arrange them on a platter.
Whisk together the vinaigrette in a small bowl and pour half of it evenly over the tomatoes, then strew with basil. Toss the arugula with the remaining dressing and place on top of and around the tomatoes.
Adapted from "Greens: A Country Garden Cookbook" by Sibella Krause, Collins Publishers, San Francisco