For more recipes in addition to the one below, explore JKCC's online database of suggested recipes.
White Bean Salad with Asparagus
Yields 5 servings
- 5 stalks green asparagus, tough ends removed
- 1 can (15 oz.) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup leafy salad greens, loosely packed
Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Set vegetable steamer into large saucepan. Lightly steam for 2-3 minutes. Set aside to cool. In large bowl, combine white beans, orange pepper and red onion.
Gently toss in asparagus. In separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper. Gently toss dressing into salad. Adjust seasoning to taste. Line salad bowl with leafy greens. Top greens with white bean salad. Serve with hearty whole grain bread.
134 calories, 6g total fat (<1g saturated fat), 16g carbohydrates, 4g protein, 5g dietary fiber, 156mg sodium.
Adapted from the American Institute for Cancer Research Newsletter, Spring 2004, Issue 83, p. 6. www.aicr.org.