Flaxseed Blueberry Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1-1/4 cups unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper cups.
In large bowl, blend first seven ingredients together; set aside. In separate bowl, mix together eggs, oil, applesauce, buttermilk and raisins. Add to dry ingredients, mixing until combined.
Scoop batter into muffin cups. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool muffins in tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
231 calories, 9g total fat (<1 g saturated fat), 34g carbohydrates, 6g protein, 6g dietary fiber, 197mg sodium
Seven Vegetable Slaw
16 servings; serving size 1/2 cup
Start with one of the prepackaged vegetable slaw mixes and add more vegetables to make it tastier and more unique. Here we've added red pepper, zucchini, and the less familiar fennel, a crunchy vegetable with a mild anise flavor. If you don't like the flavor of anise, substitute celery.
- 1 (16 ounce) package preshredded broccoli slaw or cabbage slaw
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel or celery
- 1 large red pepper, julienned (about 1 cup)
- 2 small zucchini, julienned (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup canola or soybean oil mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 tsp grated orange rind
- 1 tsp celery seed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl and toss to mix.
Combine the mayonnaise and the next five ingredients and stir until blended. Pour dressing over the slaw and toss gently.
Note: For a spunkier slaw, omit the celery seed, orange juice, and rind from the dressing; add prepared horseradish to taste.
71 calories, 1.9g protein, 7.2g carbohydrate, 2.6g fiber, 60mg sodium, 2.1g fat, 2mg cholesterol
Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy by Walter C Willet, MD