The Penn Orthopaedic Trauma and Fracture Service is leading care for orthopaedic trauma and fractures beyond the limits of conventional medicine by offering patients more options to improve their lives.
- Penn Orthopaedics is ranked among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report, making it one of the top programs for orthopaedics in the region.
- The Penn Trauma Center at Penn is a Level 1 regional resource trauma center, accredited by the Pennsylvania Trauma Systems Foundation.
- HUP has earned national and international recognition as a model program for other hospitals and provides comprehensive, compassionate care to patients sustaining traumatic injuries, including orthopaedic trauma and fractures.
- Penn's Trauma and Fracture Service is a resource for other physicians, including orthopaedic surgeons, for injuries requiring a subspecialty level of care.
- Penn's service is an integral resource for emergency transfers, referrals of complex cases, immediate physician-to-physician consultations and for post-acute care.
- Orthopaedic trauma staff members are available 24/7 and in direct contact with Penn Medicine's trauma center, transfer center and emergency department teams.
- With five orthopaedic trauma surgeons, Penn Orthopaedics' Trauma and Fracture Service is the largest such group in the Philadelphia region.
- Orthopaedic trauma physicians participate in research in multidisciplinary clinical projects and multicenter trials, ranging from traumatic articular cartilage injury to bone healing and fragility fractures.
- Penn Orthopaedics' Trauma and Fracture Service is among the few orthopaedic trauma departments in the nation engaging in active research of the biomechanical and orthobiological aspects of healing.
- Penn's orthopaedic trauma physicians are highly skilled and have completed specialized training for treating complex orthopaedic injuries and fractures.
- PennSTAR, Penn's critical care flight transportation system, provides 24-hour emergency air medical evacuation and transfer services within a 150-mile radius of Philadelphia. Its team includes trauma physicians, nurses, paramedics, pilots, mechanics and communications personnel.
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.