Penn's Scheie Eye Institute has an active staff of researchers working in various centers and laboratories—conducting basic, as well as highly specialized, research. The department receives more research funding from the National Eye Institute than any other department in the country, giving us both clinical breadth and depth.
All scientists in the department, with the exception of our team of biostatisticians, are practicing clinicians. This makes our research highly translational and directed toward improved care for patients.
Centers & Laboratories
- Applied Ophthalmic Neurobiology Laboratory
- Center for Hereditary Retinal Degenerations
- Center for Preventive Ophthalmology and Biostatistics
- Scheie Image Reading Center
- F.M. Kirby Center for Molecular Ophthalmology
- Medical Therapy Initiative
- Neuroprotection Laboratory
- Vivian Simkins Retinal Vascular Research Laboratory