Some prenatal screening tests are routine and occur throughout your pregnancy to help you and your doctor monitor your health and the health of your baby. These tests may also signal when a problem arises and can help determine the best course of treatment.
Depending on your family medical history and your level and type of risk, your doctor may offer a variety of prenatal tests such as:
- Alpha-fetaprotein testing
- Chorionic villus sampling
- Down syndrome screening
- First trimester screening
- Multiple marker screening (MMS)
- Neural tube defect screening
- Non-stress/contraction stress tests (fetal heart rate testing)
- Ultrasound examinations
- Umbilical cord blood sampling
Your Penn Ob/Gyn Care practitioner will inform you about the appropriate prenatal tests you may need.