Penn Medicine is proud to be the recipient of the Beacon Award. This prestigious honor is just another way Penn demonstrates leadership and exemplary professional practice.
The Beacon Award recognizes outstanding nursing practice at hospitals that demonstrate significant improvements in patient care.
At the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP), seven units have received Beacon Awards — more than any other hospital in the nation. In fact, it is unprecedented for one hospital to have five units recognized this way. The seven HUP units include:
- Rhoads 5 surgical intensive care unit
- Neuro Intensive care unit
- Silverstein 10 intermediate cardiac surgery unit
- Rhoads 1 vascular surgery unit
- Heart & Vascular intensive care unit
- Medical intensive care unit
- Cardiac intensive care unit
Penn Presbyterian Medical Center (PPMC) has also received three Beacon awards:
- The Cardiac Care Unit received the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses Beacon Award for Excellence.
- The SICU Unit received the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses Beacon Award for Excellence.
- Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU)