Penn Medicine has been committed to the highest standards of patient care, education and clinical research for more than two centuries. Along with its three hospitals – Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP), Pennsylvania Hospital, and Penn Presbyterian Medical Center (PPMC) – it has been nationally recognized for its countless contributions and achievements in medicine.
The following highlight a few of Penn Medicine’s many achievements in nursing excellence:
- HUP and PPMC have achieved Magnet® status, the highest institutional honor awarded for nursing excellence, from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
- PPMC’s ACE unit is a NICHE (Nurses Improving Care for Health system Elders) Unit. NICHE is a national geriatric nursing program dedicated to providing principles and tools to stimulate change in the culture of health care facilities in order to achieve excellent patient and family-centered care for older adults. NICHE is the leading organization for Geriatric Nursing. PPMC is ranked among the top 50 hospitals in the nation for geriatrics according to US & World Reports. For more information, visit NICHE.
- HUP and PPMC have each received the Beacon Award, which recognizes outstanding nursing practice at hospitals that demonstrate significant improvements in patient care.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) Executive Nurse Fellows program. Rita K. Adeniran, PhD, NP, RN, CMAC, NEA, the BC Director, Office of Diversity and Inclusion at HUP, was one of only 20 nurses from across the country to be accepted into this program in 2012. Dr. Adeniran joins a select group of nurse leaders chosen to participate in the three-year, world-class leadership development program which will enhance nurse leaders’ effectiveness in improving the nation’s health care system. She was chosen from over 150 applicants.
- Nightingale Awards of Pennsylvania are awarded to exceptional nurses practicing in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The awards program is intended to give state and national recognition to recipients. Each award recognizes exceptional nurses in nine areas of practice.
- Pennsylvania Hospital’s Ann Schwoebel, MSN, RNC, CRNP, was nominated for the category of Nursing Education.
- PPMC’s Jennifer Nelson, BSN, RN, CMSRN won the 2012 award in the category of Community Nursing.
- Nursing Spectrum Excellence Award. Lauren Fagan, BSN, RN, was the national winner of this award in 2011 for mentoring.
- Philadelphia Tri-State Nurse.com Award for Nursing Excellence. James Ballinghoff, RN, MSN, MBA, NEA-BC Interim CNO, was the winner in the category of Advancing and Leading the Profession in 2012.
Many outstanding Penn Medicine nurses have been recipients of annual, inter-institutional awards including:
- UPHS Nursing Clinical Excellence Awards
- CPUP Service Excellence Rewards and Recognition