A clinical system security policy has been implemented at Penn Medicine to comply with privacy and security regulations. To minimize the inconvenience to students or instructors on their first day of a Penn Medicine rotation, we have developed a very specific procedure to be followed in advance of the first day of the rotation. This is necessary to protect patients' information and privacy.
- Summary of the Procedure
- You must submit basic information about your students and instructors to Penn Medicine’s HR department. This information includes the Social Security number and is necessary to ensure the uniqueness of every person in the Penn Medicine database.
- Social Security number is stored within the Penn Medicine HR department and is not accessible to anyone outside the HR department, including IS personnel.
- If your School or University has regulations prohibiting the release of Social Security numbers, please note this on the Student Demographics spreadsheet. The student will be required to personally provide this information at the time of the computer training class.
- A Penn ID is assigned by HR.; this is a life-long identifier and is used across the university and the health system. In the event you or your student forgets the InPatient EMR account or password information, this Penn ID will be required when calling the Help Desk for assistance.
- Once the Penn ID is issued, Penn Medicine clinical applications will use this ID to identify the individual and we will not need Social Security information on any subsequent rotations at Penn Medicine.
- Complete Penn ID Request Procedure
Update nursing students and instructors' information in this downloadable excel file. Name the file "Rotation Roster School Name Start Date of Rotation". (example: Rotation Roster Villanova January 20 2011)
The required information is as follows:
- Last Name
- First Name
- Social Security Number (XXX-XX-XXXX)
- Date of Birth: (mm/dd/yyyy)
- Dept: Hospital
- School: Name of your school
- Title: student or instructor
- Start: Start Date
- Stop: Stop Date
- Instructor's email (for account distribution)
In the event the student has completed a rotation at Penn Medicine after January 2007, all information needs to be included with the exception of the Social Security number. This can be left blank. In the case where a Social Security number is blank, this will indicate the student already has a Penn ID.
Two weeks prior to first day of rotation, email the completed password-protected file to Christina Roman, Human Resource IS, at Cristina.Roman@uphs.upenn.edu. See instructions for creating a password-protected file below.
- Advise the students they will receive their InPatient EMR account, password and permanent Penn ID after completion of the InPatient EMR class from their instructor. InPatient EMR Security will email account information to their instructor within two business days.
- In the event a student will not be participating in the rotation as planned, please contact the hospital representative and advise them of this fact. It is preferred, but not necessary, that this be done in advance of the start date of the rotation.
- In the event a student is added to the rotation after you have emailed the file to the hospital representative, the Nursing School Representative should email the Hospital representative a new file containing the additional student(s) information. Name the file "Rotation Roster Addition School Name Start Date of Rotation" (example: Rotation Roster Addition Villanova January 20 2011).
- In the event of last minute changes where notification in advance of rotation start date is not possible, (that is whereby a student shows up for class without information being sent in advance) it will take 72 hours to process these students. The file information must be completed at the completion of the class. Information needs to include an email address of either the instructor or student so that the account information and Penn ID can be securely communicated.
- Instructions for Creating a Password-Protected Student Demographic Spreadsheet
- Click on File
- Click Save As
- Click Tools
- Select General Options
- Enter the password in Password to open
- Click OK
- Enter the password again in Reenter password to proceed
- Click OK
- Enter the File Name in space provided for File Name
- Click Save
Passwords are case sensitive. Write password down as once file is saved with a password, without entering correct password to open, file will not open.