This eight-week public program provides a thorough introduction to mindfulness meditation that will help you to:
- Reduce stress
- Increase focus and mental clarity
- Improve communication in relationships
- Heal from trauma or depression
- Manage difficult situations
New sessions begin each September, January and April. Each course includes 27 hours of class time consisting of eight 2 ½ hour weekly classes and a full-day mindfulness-based stress management retreat held on the weekend between weeks 6 and 7 of the course.
All class materials are provided, including a textbook, access to homework handouts and audio recordings of guided meditation exercises for use at home.
Morning and evening options are available. The classes are held in a variety of locations in and around Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties as well as in South Jersey.
Continuing Education Credits
Optional APA and PA Social Work and PA Nursing continuing education credits are available for an additional charge:
|PA State Nursing (24.0), APA (24.5)||$145|
|PA-Social Work (24)||$75|
For APA credits, attendance at eight sessions and the All-Day Retreat is REQUIRED in order to receive credit. No partial credit will be provided.
The following are learning objectives for the Foundation Mindfulness-Based Stress Management course:
- Describe the experience of a stress reaction.
- Distinguish the cognitive, emotional and somatic components of stress reactivity.
- Be introduced to and practice mindfulness-based stress management techniques, including formal mindfulness meditation techniques and informal ongoing awareness practices.
- Understand how to integrate these techniques into one's life, including their use:
- To manage professional stress
- To improve listening and communication
- To connect more directly with patients
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Department of Nursing Development and Education is an approved provider of Continuing Nursing Education by the PA State Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
The Penn Program for Mindfulness is partnered with HealthForumOnline to provide CE credits for this program. HealthForumOnline is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Pennsylvania Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors allows APA-approved programs to be used as CE credits for these professionals. HealthForumOnline maintains responsibility for these programs and their content.
This program is co-sponsored by the University of Pennsylvania School of Social Policy & Practice, a pre-approved provider of continuing education credits for Pennsylvania licensed Social Workers. Participants who attend the entire program will receive (24.5) PA Social Work Continuing Education Units. Social Workers from states other than Pennsylvania should contact their licensing board to determine whether CEU's granted by the University of Pennsylvania School of Social Policy & Practice are accepted for licensure renewal.