Penn Mesothelioma and Pleural Program
Patients who come to Penn Medicine for their cancer care benefit from coordinated care across disciplines and modalities. The expertise of Penn's Abramson Cancer Center in cancer diagnosis, treatment planning and integrated medicine, helps patients who come to Penn Mesothelioma and Pleural Program receive nationally recognized care that leads to better outcomes and improved quality of life.
Why Does a Multidisciplinary Team Make A Difference?
A multidisciplinary team is a group of doctors and other health care professionals with expertise in mesothelioma. There is a formalized process at Penn that allows this team to work together to discuss and manage an individual patient's care.
Most teams will include a:
- surgeon (who specializes in mesothelioma)
- radiologist (a specialist in x-rays and related scans)
- pathologist (a doctor who studies body tissues)
- oncologists (doctors specialized in chemotherapy and radiotherapy)
- palliative care doctor (a specialist in easing or relieving the symptoms of cancer)
- clinical nurse specialist
Having access to the best minds across different specialties offers patients a unique level of devotion and focus. The team at Penn is not interested in any particular treatment type; they are instead interested in a treatment plan that works best for each patient. At Penn you will find a dedicated team of professionals who are passionate about offering patients the highest level of care possible, both now and in the future.