The Penn Mesothelioma Program offers a true multidisciplinary approach to mesothelioma treatment. Patients have access to every treatment option that is available anywhere in the world, as well as a number of new cancer treatments that are only available at Penn Medicine, such as photodynamic therapy.
Mesothelioma Can Be Treated
Many think that Mesothelioma is a disease that can't be treated. But, it can. At Penn Medicine, treatment plans are customized to suit the specific needs of each patient's disease. Every patient is evaluated by a team of physicians and clinicians representing different specialty areas with extensiveexperience in treating mesothelioma. These areas include pathology, pulmonary medicine, medical oncology, radiation oncology, psychiatry and thoracic surgery.
Due to the rarity of the disease, it is hard to find a group who is as experienced as the team at Penn. Patients benefit from a relentless approach to give every patient the best possible outcome and a chance at better, longer life.
Penn's treatment options for mesothelioma and pleural disease include:
Surgery for Mesothelioma
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy
- Indwelling pleural catheter (IPC)
- Lung-sparing surgery (radical pleurectumy)
- Minimally invasive surgery (video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery-VATS)
- Peritoneal cytoreductive surgery
- Pleural sclerosis and fibrinolytics
- Therapeutic thoracentesis
Radiation Therapy for Mesothelioma
- Photodynamic therapy (PDT)
- Proton therapy
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Volumetric-modulated arc therapy (VMAT)
Chemotherapy and Biologic Therapies for Mesothelioma
- Gene therapy
Interventional Pulmonology Treatments for Mesothelioma
- Endobronchial ultrasound-guided biopsy and mediastinal staging
- Pleuroscopy and pleurodesis
Contact Penn Medicine Today
Individuals who are concerned about a mesothelioma diagnosis are sure to have many questions. A mesothelioma Patient Navigator at Penn Medicine can help. Contact us today to find out more about diagnosis and treatment options, call 215-662-9697.