The Penn Mesothelioma and Pleural Program offers a distinct multidisciplinary approach to mesothelioma treatment. At Penn Medicine, patients have access to expertise in clinical trials available worldwide, including various treatments offered only at Penn Medicine.
Mesothelioma Can Be Treated
A popular misconception is that mesothelioma is a disease that can't be treated. Due to the rarity of this incurable disease, it is difficult to find a group who is as experienced and knowledgeable as the team at Penn. Patients benefit from Penn Medicine’s ongoing research, and passion to eradicate this disease while providing the highest possible quality of life for each patient and family. The Penn Mesothelioma and Pleural Program team has expertise in all types of treatment, including Lung-Sparing Surgery and Photodynamic Therapy, Immunotherapy, Proton Therapy, Radiation Therapy and Chemotherapy.
Penn's treatment options for mesothelioma and pleural disease include:
Surgery for Mesothelioma
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy
- Indwelling pleural catheter (IPC)
- Lung-sparing surgery (radical pleurectomy)
- Minimally invasive surgery (video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery-VATS)
- Peritoneal cytoreductive surgery
- Pleural sclerosis and fibrinolytics
- Therapeutic thoracentesis
Radiation Therapy for Mesothelioma
- Photodynamic therapy (PDT)
- Proton therapy
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Volumetric-modulated arc therapy (VMAT)
Chemotherapy and Biologic Therapies for Mesothelioma
- Gene therapy
Interventional Pulmonology Treatments for Mesothelioma
- Endobronchial ultrasound-guided biopsy and mediastinal staging
- Pleuroscopy and pleurodesis
Contact Penn Medicine Today
Our Nurse/Patient navigator can assist you and your loved ones with questions about mesothelioma and pleural diseases; as well as scheduling appointments with our specialists. Contact us today to find out more about diagnosis and treatment options. Please call 215-662-9697.