The physicians at the Penn Lung Center have a wealth of experience in diagnosing and treating complex lung diseases and illnesses. A full array of specialists work closely with patients to reach a correct diagnosis, find the best available treatment and manage symptoms so patients can achieve their best quality of life. Penn offers comprehensive pulmonology diagnostics and second opinions to help with difficult diagnoses.
Living with a respiratory illness or lung disease can be frustrating, both physically and emotionally. Patients often suffer severe, debilitating symptoms that cause them to struggle with day-to-day activities.
Making an Accurate Diagnosis
Research has shown that for many lung diseases, the best diagnosis is made when the pulmonologist, radiologist and pathologist work together to review symptoms and test results. At the Penn Lung Center, teams of the region's best physicians in each of these specialties review and discuss cases together, reaching the most accurate diagnosis.
Diagnosing respiratory illness can be a complex process.
- A broad range of diseases cause respiratory illness and often have similar symptoms.
- Multiple organs contribute to respiratory health, including the lungs, heart, muscles and blood. It can be difficult to determine where the illness started.
- Chest radiology and lung biopsies, two frequently used diagnostic tests, can be complicated to interpret.
Patient Focus is the Center of Care
The physicians and staff at the Penn Lung Center understand the difficulties of living with a respiratory illness. Treatment teams work closely with patients throughout the care process.
- Pulmonologists review every patient's complete medical history and gather evidence that may help with a diagnosis.
- Team members explain overall respiratory health and the specific illness patients may have.
- Physicians share test results with patients and take time to answer questions.
- Physicians review management options and work with patients to develop individualized treatment plans to help patients:
- Improve their respiratory health
- Feel better
- Understand their future and living with their disease
- Return to as active a life as possible