The Penn Lung Center utilizes a multidisciplinary approach to treating interstitial lung disease (ILD). Penn lung specialists combine their expertise to develop individualized patient treatment plans.
Studies have shown that the most accurate diagnoses occur when there is direct communication between the pulmonologist, chest radiologist and lung pathologist, who are all experts in ILDs. Penn's diagnostic team includes specialists with extensive experience in diagnosing these lung-scarring diseases.
- Penn's ILD diagnostic team includes pulmonologists, chest radiologists and lung pathologists who have extensive experience in diagnosing ILDs.
- Specialists in pulmonary medicine, thoracic surgery, radiology, pathology, nutrition and rehabilitation medicine may be included in developing the diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Penn physicians are involved in the latest research and able to prescribe the most effective medical treatment currently available for ILDs.
- Patients may be able to participate in clinical trials of emerging treatments for ILDs at Penn.
- Patients for whom a lung transplant may be the best treatment option can be seamlessly transitioned into Penn's Lung Transplant Program.