The Robert L. Mayock Student Research Fellowship provides a unique and exciting opportunity to participate in a hands-on, individualized experience in research.
Students who meet the following criteria may apply for the Robert L. Mayock Student Research Fellowship.
- University undergraduate who have completed 3 years
- M.D. students at U.S. medical schools
- Interest in pulmonary research experiences
Applying for the Fellowship
Please print and complete this application. If you need additional information, please contact Horace Delisser, M.D., Director of the Robert L. Mayock Student Research Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine.
To apply for the fellowship, the following must be submitted by April 1st of each year:
- Completed application
- A letter of recommendation
- Most current transcript
Enclose these in a sealed envelope and send to:
Robert L. Mayock Student Research Fellowship
c/o Horace M. DeLisser, MD
Pulmonary, Allergy & Critical Care Division, Perelman School of Medicine Translational Research Laboratories
Suite 1200, Room 1202
125 South 31st Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3403
The oversight committee meets in March of each year to review and decide on the most qualified applicant(s). The following individuals serve on this committee:
- Horace DeLisser
- Steven Albelda
- Michael Beers
- Anil Vachani
Criteria to be used for the selection of the fellows include:
- Previous research experience.
- Academic success.
- The enthusiasm of the candidate for the fellowship as reflected in the application.
- Strength of the letter of recommendation.
E-mail notification of the decisions will be sent to the applicants by April 15 and the selected fellow(s) will be presented annually to the Division Awards Committee.
Each selected student will meet with his or her faculty supervisor 2-3 months before the start of the program to design a meaningful, independent research experience. The research plan will be submitted to the director of the fellowship for review before the start of the research.
Each student in the program is responsible for completing the following requirements as part of the fellowship:
- Preparation of a 2-3 page research plan/proposal before the start of the fellowship. (The format to be followed is below.)
- Participation in research for 8-10 weeks continuously, June-August. (Accommodations will be made for 3rd and 4th year students using the fellowship to fulfill their scholarly pursuit to do their research in the fall.)
- Research to be conducted in one of the research laboratories of the Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Division.
- Attendance at pulmonary clinical and research conferences.
- Presentation of research at a division research conference.
A stipend of $3,500 will be provided.
On rotating basis, specific labs will be designated each year to host the students. The following laboratory experiences will be available:
- Asthma and Airways Biology (Panettieri, Krymskaya, Haczku)
- Lung Epithelial Cell and Surfactant Biology (Beers)
- Acute Lung Injury and Pulmonary Vascular Biology (DeLisser, Christofidou-Solomidou )
- Thoracic Malignancies (Albelda, Vachani)
- HIV Biology (Collman)