Teen Volunteer Program
NOTICE: Teen Volunteer applicants should be aware that there is a national shortage of PPD Tests for Tuberculosis. We will accept their completed application without the PPD Test results until mid-June, 2013. We will continue to send acceptance letters for this summer's program in the order that completed applications, with TB Testing documentation included, are received.
How to Apply: New Applicants
NOTE: Registration is closed due to a high volume of applicants. The program has reached full capacity.
How to Apply: Returning Volunteers
NOTE: Registration is Currently Closed
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania proudly offers the Summer-Teen Volunteer Program.
- Gain exposure to patient care in a premier hospital
- Provide service to your community
- Receive a certificate of service from a top ranked hospital
- Must be at least 14 years of age by June 1, 2013
- Must be in high school or entering high school
- Complete application
- Complete medical documentation specified on application
- Consistent attendance
- Successfully complete Volunteer Services interview
- Attend all required orientation and training
- Compliance with uniform and dress standards
- Compliance with hospital and department policies and guidelines
- Minimum of 40 hours of service over two months. (30 hours of service plus 10 hours of training from June 24 to August 16).
- At least one five-hour shift per week over the course of six weeks plus two weeks of training.
- Volunteers will pick a shift at orientation. Volunteers must commit to the shift they select for the entire summer. Volunteers should consider other activities before making the commitment to this program.
- Volunteer Services can not accommodate changes to the schedule or exceptions to any service requirements. Volunteers who do not meet these service requirements will not receive a certificate or verification of service.
Who Should Apply
- High school students ages 14 and over on June 1, 2013
- Students who have not yet started college
- Students who are able to commit to the service requirements
Who Should Not Apply
- Students under the age of 14
- Students who have started college
- Students who can not complete the minimum service requirements
- Students who are not able to commit to service for the entire summer (one week vacation permitted)
- Students who plan to be absent for more than one week between June 24 to August 16
- Students who are not able to commit to orientation/training
- Volunteer Services only reviews completed applications received through fax at 215-614-0465.
- PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT VOLUNTEER SERVICES TO CONFIRM RECIEPT OF APPLICATION. VOLUNTEER SERVICES WILL NOTIFY ACCEPTED APPLICANTS ON OR BEFORE MAY 18.
- The hospital will close the application process before May 18 if the program reaches capacity. In this case, applicants will be notified immediately.
- Volunteer Services will notify applicants if the application is incomplete. Applicants who submit an incomplete application must resubmit a completed application before the deadline. Only completed applications will be considered.