The Allied Health & Nursing Volunteer Program
How to Apply
NOTE: Registration is Currently Closed
Volunteer Services provides the opportunity on a first come first serve basis to appropriate applicants. Volunteer Services provides an opportunity during the orientation to answer questions related to the Allied Health and Nursing Volunteer Program.
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania proudly offers the Healthcare Occupation Volunteer Program to those who wish to gain experience in a healthcare related field.
HUP currently offers the Allied Health & Nursing Volunteer opportunity to the following fields:
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Exposure to patient care in a premier hospital
- To provide service to your community
- To gain a letter of recommendation for participation in an elite hospital program
Allied Health & Nursing Volunteer Program Service Requirements
- Minimum of 100 hours of service
- Consistent weekly attendance over a 6 month period of time
- A minimum of one 4-hour shift per week
- Required orientation and training classes
- Compliance with Hospital guidelines and policies
Who Should Apply
- Any person planning to attend to Nursing School
- Any person currently in Nursing School who has not started the clinical rotations
- Any person who is pursuing a career in Physical Therapy
- Any person who is pursing a career in Occupational Therapy
- Any person who is pursing a career in Social Work or Healthcare Administration
Who Should Not Apply
- Any person in Nursing School who will start their clinical rotations before the completion of the session
- Any person in Nursing School who has already completed their clinical rotations
- Any person who cannot meet the service requirements of the program
- Any person who is seeking work experience for a career in a healthcare profession that is not listed
- Any person who has a degree or certificate to practice:
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Medical Office Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Medical Billing
- Laboratory Technician
When to Apply
The Volunteer Services office accepts appropriate applications on a first come first serve basis.
- For the fall session (October to February), applications are open September 7 to October 12.
- For the spring session (March to August), applications are open February 10 to March 10.