Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. We believe the adult volunteers who work side-by-side with hospital personal are a valued resource, often hard to find. The Volunteer Services Department's first priority is to find the appropriate assignment for you — one that is desired by you and fills a hospital need for assistance.
Volunteer assignments may exist in clinical and non-clinical locations of the hospital, including nursing units, Emergency Department, hospital offices, Guest Services, information desks and other hospitality locations. The scope of potential assignments is unlimited.
- You Would Make a Good Volunteer If You...
- Have a sincere interest in people and helping others
- Are mature and willing to adhere to hospital policies and procedures
- Have a professional and positive attitude about your commitment to the hospital, its patients and visitors
- Can commitment to at least one of the following:
- Four (4) hours of volunteer service each week for six (6) months
- Monthly attendance as a patient or caregiver representative for various hospital committees or councils
- What We Require
- Commitment to a minimum of four (4) hours each week for six months or monthly council or committee attendance
- Application, background check, immunization/vaccination records
- Orientation prior to start date
- Must be 18 years or older
- What We Offer
- A meaningful work experience
- An opportunity to meet new people and make new friends
- Annual volunteer appreciation and acknowledgement
- Free parking during your volunteer service
- Free hospital café voucher during your volunteer service
- What We Do Not Provide
- Shadowing opportunities
- Reimbursement for costs associated with the volunteer application process
- Technical institute externships such as Medical Office Assistant/Billing, Phlebotomy, Coding, or any other clinical/business externship
- Getting Started
The volunteer experience is designed to keep our patients, caregivers and staff safe while providing you with a meaningful, rewarding, and enriching experience. Please, carefully review the following steps before applying:
Step 1: Application and Letter of Recommendation
Complete the online volunteer application form. Please include at least one of your phone numbers and your email address.
Step 2: Application Review
Volunteer Services will review and respond to your application via email or phone within 10 business days.
Step 3: Clearances & Interviews
Should a possible opportunity match your availability and interests, you will be asked to interview with hospital staff. You will be asked to provide documentation regarding your immunization and vaccine history prior to your interview or to be presented at the time of the interview. Documentation must include your vaccination and immunization history of:
- Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR)
- Varicella (chickenpox)
- Tuberculosis (PPD test or equivalent)
- Seasonal influenza
Step 4: On-line Training
As per hospital policy, you will need to complete five on-line training courses to familiarize you with hospital policy and regulations. Each course takes approximately 30 minutes to complete and can be accomplished from your own computer.
Step 5: Orientation
You will be invited to an orientation at HUP led by the Department of Volunteer Services.
Step 6: Welcome Aboard!
Follow along your application process with this application checklist.
Questions About Volunteering?
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us at The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. If you have any questions, please contact the Department of Volunteer Services at 215-662-2576 or email@example.com.