How to Apply
NOTE: Registration is Currently Closed
Volunteer Services provides the opportunity on a first come first serve basis to appropriate applicants. Volunteer Services provides an opportunity during the orientation to answer questions related to the Allied Health and Nursing Volunteer Program.
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania proudly offers the Healthcare Occupation Volunteer Program to those who wish to gain experience in a healthcare related field.
HUP currently offers the Allied Health & Nursing Volunteer opportunity to the following fields:
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Exposure to patient care in a premier hospital
- To provide service to your community
- To gain a letter of recommendation for participation in an elite hospital program
Allied Health & Nursing Volunteer Program Service Requirements
- Minimum of 100 hours of service
- Consistent weekly attendance over a 6 month period of time
- A minimum of one 4-hour shift per week
- Required orientation and training classes (prior to start date of N&AH Program)
- Compliance with Hospital guidelines and policies
Who Should Apply
- Any person planning to attend Nursing School
- Any person currently in Nursing School who has not started the clinical rotations
- Any person who is pursuing a career in Physical Therapy
- Any person who is pursing a career in Occupational Therapy
- Any person who is pursuing a career in Nutrition
Who Should Not Apply
- Any person who is not ready to begin volunteering after Orientation completion
- Any person in Nursing School who will start their clinical rotations before the completion of the session
- Any person in Nursing School who has already completed their clinical rotations
- Any person who cannot meet the service requirements of the program
- Any person who is seeking work experience for a career in a healthcare profession that is not listed
- Any person who has a degree or certificate to practice:
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Medical Office Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Medical Billing
- Laboratory Technician
- Dietetics or Dietetic Technician
When to Apply
The Volunteer Services office accepts appropriate applications on a first come first serve basis.
- For the fall session (September to February), registration is open August 1 to September 6.
- For the spring session (January to June), registration is open November 5 to November 30.