“We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.”
-- Sir Winston Churchill
The greatest gift you can give is the gift of yourself. Do you have a few extra hours that you would like to spend helping others? All that is required of you is a compassionate and caring heart, a nonjudgmental attitude and the willingness to make a difference in the lives of our patients and their families. You determine the extent of your commitment of time according to your own schedule. Wissahickon Hospice provides each volunteer with the training and tools needed to join the rest of the hospice team in providing the highest quality of services to families and the community.
- Patient & Family Support
- Supporting the work of our professional team
- Becoming part of our Live Alone Call Team
- Making telephone support visits
- Working with our Leave a Legacy Program
- Providing grief support
- Collaborating with our Music Therapy Project
- Community Information and Outreach
- Participating on our Speakers Bureau
- Representing hospice at health fairs and other community events
- Assisting with Memorial Services
- Office Work
- Supporting our office staff with mailings, data entry, phone calls, filing and other office assistance
- Using your unique experience to aid with special projects in marketing or public relations
- Events and Fundraising
- Assisting with special events by serving on committees, organizing activities or helping out during special events
- Working closely with the Development Department with mailings and acknowledgements for contributions
- Student Hospice Organization of Penn (SHOOP) – This student organization of the University of Pennsylvania promotes student volunteer opportunities to visit with hospice patients in our system hospitals: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Hospital and Penn Presbyterian Medical Center. They help to bring the message of hospice to the community by distributing our information to the public.
Wissahickon Hospice welcomes you to join our outstanding team of volunteers. Your unique gifts of time, talent and compassion help us to help others. To become a Hospice Volunteer, please download the application.
Do you have special skills, talents and licensure? If so we are always looking for the following:
- Massage Therapists
- Interpreters – Do you speak or understand a foreign language? Do you sign?
You must be at least 18 years of age. Due to the nature of our training sessions, we discourage anyone to apply within one year of experiencing a significant loss within their immediate family or close circle of friends.