State-of-the-Art Diagnostics for Heart and Vascular Disease
Penn Medicine's noninvasive imaging specialists work in integrated teams with certified technologists and technicians to provide patients in-depth, high-quality diagnostic evaluations for heart and vascular problems.
Penn's testing sites are equipped with some of the most sophisticated diagnostic technology available today. The latest in digital picture archiving, communications and information management speeds the entire process, so most patients can expect same-day results for a wide range of tests.
Noninvasive heart and vascular testing assists physicians determine function and disability, optimize treatment and detect adverse vascular changes even before symptoms appear. These tests look at the:
- Structure of the heart including its muscles and valves
- Flow of blood through the heart
- Cardiac cycle (activation, contraction and relaxation)
- Development of plaque in blood vessels
- Blood flow through the vessels
- Presence of blood clots or aneurysms
The Best in Patient-Centered Service
Patients can choose a testing site from one of Penn’s many convenient locations. Several sites offer evening and weekend hours. Same-day appointments are available for urgent circumstances.
The staff at each location is patient centered. They understand that even though the tests are noninvasive, they can still be intimidating. They educate patients about each procedure and the credentials of the people performing it. Throughout the experience, patient safety and accurate tests are their highest priorities.
A “Best Test” Option for Every Patient
Penn’s full array of noninvasive tests lets physicians select the best studies for every patient.
Noninvasive cardiac tests include:
- Electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG)
- Ambulatory electrocardiography/even monitoring
- Tilt table testing
- Echocardiogram – standard, contrast, stress, transesophageal, 3D imaging, intracardiac imaging, strain and strain rate imaging for advanced diagnosis
- Coronary calcium scanning
- Computed tomography imaging (CTI) and coronary angiography (CTA)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and angiography (MRA)
- Single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT)
- Positron emission tomography (PET)
- Multi-gated acquisition scan (MUGA)
- Sestamibi exercise stress test
- Thallium exercise stress test
- Thallium pharmacologic stress test
Noninvasive vascular tests include:
- Arterial ultrasound (of carotid, renal, peripheral arteries and the aorta)
- Carotid ultrasound and intima-media thickness (IMT)
- Venous ultrasound of both the upper and lower extremities
- Intra-operative duplex ultrasonography
- Pulse volume recordings of the upper and lower extremities
- Exercise and treadmill testing of both upper and lower extremities
- Venous reflux testing
- Computed tomography angiography (CTA)
- Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA)
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.