The Penn Difference
Penn Medicine is leading health care beyond the limits of conventional medicine by offering patients more options to improve their lives every day. Our commitment to serving you and advancing medicine is why we can say to the world, "Your Life is Worth Penn Medicine."
Learn more about why patients choose the Mechanical-Assist Device Program at Penn for the most advanced care available:
Experience patients can rely on.
- Penn has one of the top five most experienced programs in the nation and is the region’s leading advocate for the use of VADs for both patients in end-stage heart failure and those awaiting heart transplants.
"Firsts" that open new options for patients.
- Penn was one of the first centers to:
- Receive certification for SynCardia CardioWest™ temporary Total Artificial Heart (TAH-t) implantation, now considered to be the gold standard for bridge-to-transplant for patients awaiting a donor heart or at imminent risk of death
- Implant the:
- Thoratec HeartMate II left ventricular-assist device (LVAD) for destination (long-term) therapy.
- HeartWare Ventricular-Assist System, the only full-output pump designed to be implanted next to the heart, avoiding the abdominal surgery generally required to implant other devices.
- Acorn CorCap™ Cardiac-Support Device, a mesh "heart jacket" that provides permanent support, prevents further enlargement of the muscle and enhances pumping function.
- Evaluate the LionHeart™ LVAS, the first fully implantable device to undergo clinical trial.
- The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania was the first hospital in the region to receive Advanced Certification in Ventricular-Assist Devices from The Joint Commission.
Physicians with credentials that translate to the best in quality care.
- Penn implantation specialists are board-certified and fellowship-trained cardiothoracic surgery.
- They provide consultation and training in the latest mechanical-assist technologies and techniques to other medical professionals around the world.
- They are regularly acknowledged for their talent by both peers and consumers and have been recognized by Best Doctors in America, Philadelphia magazine's "Top Docs" and America's Top Doctors.
Collaborative relationships that deliver real value to patients.
- The Penn mechanical-assist device team constantly forges new scientific partnerships to give patients early access to the latest in mechanical devices that support or replace heart functions.
Integrated and coordinated care that maximizes quality and convenience.
- The Penn Heart and Vascular Center's multidisciplinary team of providers is fully integrated under one roof to offer patients who need mechanical-assist devices with one point of access to every level of care they may need, including physicians, surgeons, dedicated nurse practitioners, physical therapists, dieticians, social workers and a financial coordinator.
Unique capabilities and expertise.
- An inventory of the world's most sophisticated mechanical-assist devices means there’s an option available to fit virtually every patient that comes to Penn.
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.