The Penn Difference
Penn Medicine is leading health care beyond the limits of conventional medicine by offering patients more options to improve their lives every day. Our commitment to serving you and advancing medicine is why we can say to the world, "Your Life is Worth Penn Medicine."
Learn more about why patients choose the Interventional Cardiology Program at Penn for the most advanced care available:
Experience patients can rely on.
- Penn's interventional cardiologists are some of the most experienced in the country, performing nearly 11,000 procedures each year. They perform more balloon valvuloplasty procedures than anyone else in the area.
Results that improve longevity and quality of life.
- The interventional cardiology program ranks among the best in the nation with an [angioplasty/stent] success rate of more than 95 percent and a complication rate below 3 percent.
“Firsts” that offer new options for patients.
- Penn was one of the first medical centers in the United States to:
- Perform balloon valvuloplasty for mitral and aortic stenosis.
- Perform coronary stenting and to use drug-eluting stents to reduce restenosis.
- Use the TandemHeart® and Impella® left ventricular-assist devices to perform high-risk angioplasty procedures more safely.
- Adopt transcatheter clip repair for mitral regurgitation.
- Employ transcatheter aortic valve replacement for aortic stenosis.
- Penn Medicine is often among the first centers asked to evaluate new technologies.
Physicians with credentials that translate to the best in quality care.
- Penn's interventional cardiologists are board-certified in cardiovascular medicine and fellowship-trained in the speciality of interventional cardiology.
- They provide consultation and training for other medical professionals around the world.
- They are regularly acknowledged for their talent by both peers and consumers and have been recognized by Best Doctors in America, Philadelphia magazine's "Top Docs" and America's Top Doctors.
Unique capabilities and expertise.
- The conveniently located labs at Penn are some of the best equipped in the world.
- Hospital-based cardiac catheterization laboratories are ready to perform cardiac intervention for patients experiencing a heart attack within 90 minutes of their arrival at the hospital, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.