The Penn Difference
Penn Medicine is leading health care beyond the limits of conventional medicine by offering patients more options to improve their lives every day. Our commitment to serving you and advancing medicine is why we can say to the world, "Your Life is Worth Penn Medicine."
Learn more about why patients choose the Heart Valve Disease Program at Penn for the most advanced care available:
Experience patients can rely on.
Penn's Heart Valve Disease Program is the largest in the region. A dedicated team of specialists perform the highest volume of valve procedures in the region, including:
- Total valve repairs
- Total valve replacements
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacements
- Aortic root procedures
- Valve-sparing procedures
As one of the largest centers in the United States for advanced port-access surgery to repair or replace a mitral valve, Penn surgeons have performed more than 1,000 procedures since 1998.
Results that improve longevity and quality of life.
Surgeons at Penn have built an impressive record of performing valve repair or replacement procedures.
- They have performed the largest number of valve surgeries in the state of Pennsylvania, with better patient outcomes.
- Penn has more top-ranked heart surgeons than any other hospital in the Philadelphia region, according to Castle Connolly.
- They have performed mitral valve repairs for over 85 percent of their patients versus the national average of only 55 percent.
- Their expertise with port-access surgery means that 15 percent of patients who have previously had cardiac bypass surgery can receive a mitral valve repair with less risk of damaging their bypass graft.
"Firsts" that open new options for patients.
- Interventional cardiologists at Penn were the first in the area to perform balloon valvuloplasty for mitral and aortic stenosis. Today, they continue to manage the largest such program in the region.
- Penn is the only medical center in the state participating in ground-breaking transcatheter aortic valve trials for percutaneous aortic valve replacement. (Qualifying patients have aortic stenosis, are exceptionally high risk, and previously were deemed inoperable.)
- Penn specialists performed the second Evalve MitraClip™ procedure in the world – an investigational approach that holds great promise for patients with leaking mitral valves.
- Researchers at Penndeveloped 3D cardiac imaging parameters giving surgeons the ability to predict the long -term durability of valve repairs at the time of surgery.
Physicians with credentials that translate to the best in quality care.
- Penn’s heart valve specialists are board certified cardiothoracic surgery and many have completed specialized fellowship programs.
- They provide consultation and training for other medical professionals around the world.
- They are regularly acknowledged for their talent by both peers and consumers and have been recognized by Best Doctors in America, Philadelphia magazine’s “Top Docs” and America’s Top Doctors.
Active research programs that put Penn at the forefront of new developments in the diagnosis and treatment of heart valve disorders.
- Penn’s robust research program is making great strides in translating new knowledge about mitral valve repair and replacement into practical medical procedures.
- Physician researchers at Penn conduct more clinical trials to evaluate new options for prosthetic heart valves than anywhere else in the region.
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.