Patient Outcomes Among the Best in the Nation
While heart transplantation is a very "high tech" specialty, it's also "high touch." Penn creates a supportive environment for patients. They can count on the Penn transplant team to guide them through the entire process – from decision-making through lifelong follow-up care – with sensitivity and compassion.
A Heart Transplant Team that Inspires Confidence
The Penn Medicine heart transplant team is comprised of some of the world's finest:
- Transplant surgeons
- Cardiovascular imaging specialists
- Infectious disease specialists
- Rehabilitation medicine specialists
The team has earned national and international recognition for expertise in:
- Pre-transplant patient stabilization.
- Advanced bridge-to-transplant mechanical-assist implantation (supports patients with end-stage heart failure until they can have a heart transplant), including temporary total artificial heart (TAH-t).
- Transplant surgery.
- Permanent Ventricular-Assist Devices (VADs) for patients unable to receive heart transplants.
- Treatment of high-risk patients, including older patients and those undergoing complex re-transplant surgery.
- Post-transplant patient care.
An Integrated Program that Provides Easy Access to Multiple Resources
This integration provides a seamless continuum of care from early prevention strategies to end-stage options. Plus, the full range of resources at Penn Medicine are available to address any other health problem transplant patients may encounter.
2012 Penn Heart Failure Clinical Activity Report
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.