The Penn Difference
Penn Medicine is leading health care beyond the limits of conventional medicine by offering patients more options to improve their lives every day. Our commitment to serving you and advancing medicine is why we can say to the world, "Your Life is Worth Penn Medicine."
Learn more about why patients choose the Coronary Artery Disease Program at Penn for the most advanced care available:
Experience patients can rely on:
- Interventional cardiologists at Penn have the experience, expertise and advanced technology to perform percutaneous (catheter-based) coronary interventions in the highest risk patients, including those with complex or left main disease and those not suitable for surgery.
- Penn cardiovascular surgeons are noted nationally for expertise in arterial grafting and arterial conduits. They treat many complex cases that cannot be treated at other medical institutions.
Results that improve longevity and quality of life.
- Penn ranks among the best cardiovascular centers in the nation with:
- An angioplasty/stent success rate of more than 95 percent and a complication rate below 3 percent.
- High success rates for re-operative coronary artery bypass grafting (Re-operations account for up to 10 percent of all coronary artery procedures and the success rate is in the 97 percent range when these re-operations are performed electively).
- Cardiovascular surgeons and dedicated cardiovascular anesthesiologists at Penn have developed advanced perfusion techniques that reduce the risk of stroke while a patient is on a heart-lung machine.
"Firsts" that open new options for patients:
- Penn was one of the first medical centers in the United States to:
- Perform coronary stenting, and, more recently, to use drug-eluting stents to reduce restenosis.
- Use a hybrid approach, a combination of surgical and catheter-based intervention, to coronary artery revascularization.
- Develop advanced robotic procedures to perform minimally invasive coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG).
- Use the TandemHeart® and Impella® left ventricular-assist devices to perform high-risk angioplasty procedures more safely.
Physicians with credentials that translate to the best in quality care.
- Penn's coronary artery disease specialists are board certified in cardiovascular disease.
- They provide consultation and training for other medical professionals around the world.
- They are regularly acknowledged for their talent by both peers and consumers and have been recognized by Best Doctors in America, Philadelphia magazine's “Top Docs” and America's Top Doctors.
Integrated and coordinated care that maximizes quality and convenience.
- As a tertiary care medical center, Penn offers patients the full range of possible medical, interventional and surgical options for the management of their heart disease.
Unique capabilities and expertise:
- Penn interventional cardiologists use the latest technological advances in stents and catheter-based devices.
- The largest LDL apheresis program in the country serves the unique population of patients with unusually high levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) who are unresponsive to drug treatment.
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.