The Penn Difference
Penn Medicine is leading health care beyond the limits of conventional medicine by offering patients more options to improve their lives every day. Our commitment to serving you and advancing medicine is why we can say to the world, "Your Life is Worth Penn Medicine."
Learn more about why patients choose the Complex Aortic Disease Program at Penn for the most advanced care available:
Experience patients can rely on.
- When Penn's Complex Aortic Disease Program was founded in 1993, it was the first in the
region fully dedicated to the timely recognition, treatment and long-term management of patients
with severe aortic disease. Today, the program is:
- The most active in the Philadelphia region following more patients than any other area hospital.
- A recognized national and international leader in the field with patient outcomes that exceed national benchmarks and well-respected programs in research and education.
- Penn cardiovascular surgeons have the most experience in the region performing aortic root procedures.
- Protocols developed at Penn for minimizing the risk of surgical complications, such as spinal cord injury and kidney damage, are now being used by other centers around the world.
“Firsts” that open new options for patients.
- Penn surgeons have pioneered a number of procedures for aortic repair, such as:
- Valve-sparing aortic root replacement.
- Aortic stent graft repair.
- In addition to being the among the first to use the technique, specialists at Penn were also:
- The first in the United States to use third-generation Valiant™ thoracic aortic stent grafts.
- The first in the world to use the Carboseal® Valsalva mechanical composite graft aortic root reconstruction.
- Hybrid total arch repair.
- Reoperative aortic root reconstructions.
Physicians with credentials that translate to the best in quality care.
- Penn's Complex Aortic Disease specialists are board certified in cardiothoracic surgery or vascular surgery and many are fellowship trained in the specialty area of Complex Aortic Disease.
- They provide consultation and training for medical professionals around the world.
- They are regularly acknowledged for their talent by both peers and consumers and have been recognized by Best Doctors in America, Philadelphia magazine's "Top Docs" and America's Top Doctors.
A commitment to accessible care.
- Penn's thoracic aortic surgical team is available around the clock for prompt referral consultation and immediate care for patients in critical situations.
Active research programs put Penn at the forefront of new developments in heart transplantation.
- Researchers at Penn routinely lead and participate in pivotal national studies.
- Penn is currently one of a small number of research centers in the United States involved in studies to further refine existing endovascular stent graft devices as well as to develop new devices to treat thoracic aortic aneurysms.
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.