The Penn Difference
Penn Medicine is leading health care beyond the limits of conventional medicine by offering patients more options to improve their lives every day. Our commitment to serving you and advancing medicine is why we can say to the world, "Your Life is Worth Penn Medicine."
Learn more about why patients choose the Cardiovascular Surgery Program at Penn for the most advanced care available:
Experience patients can rely on.
- Penn's cardiothoracic surgeons perform more than 2,000 procedures annually in the outstanding cardiac surgical facilities at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, and Pennsylvania Hospital.
- Patients with difficult-to-treat conditions are routinely referred here.
"Firsts" that open new options for patients.
- Much of the early experimental work on the heart-lung machine was done here. This innovative technology revolutionized heart surgery and was just one of many medical "firsts" that can be attributed to Penn surgeons. For more Penn cardiac cardiovascular surgery breakthroughs, please visit:
Physicians with credentials that translate to the best in quality care.
- Penn's cardiovascular surgeons are board-certified and fellowship-trained in cardiothoracic surgery. Many surgeons complete specialized fellowships in areas such as heart failure and transplantation, thoracic aortic surgery and ventricular assist device (VAD) implantation.
- They provide consultation and training for other medical professionals around the world.
- They are regularly recognized for their talent by both peers and consumers.
- Most cardiacovascular surgeons were recognized by The Best Doctors in America 2009.
- Philadelphia magazine's 2009 “Top Docs” issue lists more Penn cardiovascualar surgeons than any other health system in the area.
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.