- Wear several layers, including gloves and a hat. Remove layers when you
warm up, and replace them during the slower portions of your workout.
- If it is snowing or icy, be extra careful to not fall.
- Remember, you can still become dehydrated in cold weather -- so you still
need plenty of fluid before, during, and after exercise.
- Wear light-colored, lightweight clothing.
- Drink plenty of water before, during, and after you exercise. This is important
at all times of the year, but especially when exercising in warm weather.
- Take it slow, and be cautious about pushing your limits. Don't push yourself
too hard, especially in the heat. Remember that you still need to replenish
fluid even when you don't feel thirsty. If you do feel dizzy, lightheaded,
or sluggish -- stop, rest, and drink some water immediately!
- Heat stroke is a medical emergency. It may decrease your level of consciousness
or even cause a seizure. If you experience more serious symptoms -- such
as nausea, headache, confusion, clamminess, trouble focusing, fever, or sudden
lack of sweating -- you should go to the hospital right away. You should
also see a doctor promptly if your heavy breathing, dizziness, and excessive
fatigue remain after you have rested and drank water.
- If heat, humidity, or pollution make exercise too hard, exercise indoors
or during cooler hours.
Review Date: 3/12/2007
Reviewed By: Benjamin W. Van Voorhees, MD, MPH, Assistant Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.