Household pets are the most common source of allergic reactions to animals.
Many people think that pet allergy is provoked by the fur of cats and dogs.
But researchers have found that the major allergens are proteins secreted by
oil glands in the animals' skin and shed in dander, as well as proteins in
the saliva, which sticks to the fur when the animal licks itself. Urine is
also a source of allergy-causing proteins. When the substance carrying the
proteins dries, the proteins can then float into the air.
Cats may be more likely than dogs to cause allergic reactions because they
lick themselves more and may be held more and spend more time in the house,
close to humans.
Some rodents, such as guinea pigs and gerbils, have become increasingly popular
as household pets. They, too, can cause allergic reactions in some people,
as can mice and rats. Urine is the major source of allergens from these animals.
Allergies to animals can take two years or more to develop and may not subside
until 6 months or more after ending contact with the animal. Carpet and furniture
are a reservoir for pet allergens, and the allergens can remain in them for
4 - 6 weeks. In addition, these allergens can stay in household air for months
after the animal has been removed. Therefore, it is wise for people with an
animal allergy to check with the landlord or previous owner to find out if
furry pets had lived previously on the premises.
- Remove pets from your home if possible.
- If pet removal is not possible, keep them out of bedrooms and confined
to areas without carpets or upholstered furniture.
- Wear a dust mask and gloves when near rodents.
- After playing with your pet, wash your hands and clean your clothes to
remove pet allergens.
- Avoid contact with soiled litter cages.
- Dust often with a damp cloth.
Created by the National Institutes of Health. Image copyright A.D.A.M., Inc.
Review Date: 5/16/2007
Reviewed By: Alan Greene, M.D., F.A.A.P., Department of Pediatrics, Packard Children's Hospital, Stanford University School of Medicine; Chief Medical Officer, A.D.A.M., Inc.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.