University of Pennsylvania Health System

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you participate with my insurance?

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide specific information regarding insurance coverage for specific services and procedures.

Information regarding your insurance coverage should be discussed with your insurance carrier. On the back of your insurance card you will find a telephone number for member services or customer services. Most often it is a toll free telephone number. Contact your insurance carrier regarding your inquiry.

How do I get my birth certificate or one for my baby?

All birth records may be obtained from the Department of Vital Records for the state in which you were born. You may call the Department of Vital Records at 724-656-3100.

There is information regarding obtaining your birth certificate at the following website. This website is not affiliated with the Penn Medicine website and we have no control over its content.

How do I get a social security number for my newborn?

Upon having your baby, you may sign a release of information form so that the hospital may obtain your baby's social security card. The birth records are sent to the Department of Vital Records who then download the information to the Social Security Administration.

You will first receive the baby's birth certificate. Three to four weeks following the receipt of the birth certificate, you will receive the social security card.

Where can I send a complaint or a compliment?

Use this contact us form to send your information to Penn Medicine and provide as much detail about your experience as possible. Include the department, facility, time of service, and any of the staff involved. Any of the names of the staff or position, such as "secretary or manager," will be helpful. We assure you we will forward your inquiry to the most appropriate persons.

Throughout Penn Medicine, we strive for excellence in patient care and service. We value patient and family feedback, whether complimentary or critical, as it helps us to identify potential problems and enables us to implement new services and improvements.

How do I learn more about career opportunities at Penn Medicine?

As one of the premiere academic medical centers in the United States, Penn Medicine offers exceptional employment opportunities in a variety of careers. Learn more about our career paths and search for jobs.

To receive technical support when applying for a Penn Medicine career, e-mail

How can I find information about a drug I was prescribed?

For general information about a specific drug, call our Drug Information Center at 215-662-2903, Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4 pm.

Do you have information on internships and externships?

The employment opportunities within Penn Medicine are posted on our website and updated regularly. You may search for employment using a number of prompts to find a job offer that meets your needs.

Visit our careers website in order to search for positions by job type or entity. Applications for employment and resumes are only accepted electronically.

What do I need in order to get my medical records?

To request a copy of your medical records, please print and complete the following form:

Submit your completed form to the location where you received care to obtain the records desired.

Outpatient record requests must be submitted to the specific department in which the service was received.

  • Radiology films and reports can be obtained from the Film Library for that particular hospital.

Inpatient record requests should be sent to the hospital the patient attended. In some instances there may be a cost involved.

The hospital contact information is:

  • Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
    Medical Records Department
    1st Floor Founders
    3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
    Fax: 215-662-6300

  • Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
    Medical Records Department
    Myrin Basement
    39th and Market Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19104
    Fax: 215-243-8758

  • Pennsylvania Hospital
    Medical Records Department
    2 Cathcart Bldg.
    800 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107
    Fax: 215-829-3027

How do I find out about volunteering?

Volunteer opportunities are available at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Hospital and the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania.

Learn more about various programs being offered

Can I email my information changes to you?

We appreciate you letting us know about the changes in your personal information. For your protection we cannot make a change to the hospital database, based on the receipt of email.

Please contact the Department of Patient Registration at 215-615-2240 or 1-877-204-9213 to make the necessary changes to your demographic information. You may call the Penn Health Referral Service at 800-789-PENN (7366) for other related services within the health system.

At the time of the call to the Department of Patient Registration, other identifying information may be requested in order to make the necessary changes.

How can I be an egg donor?

The Department of Reproductive Endocrinology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is involved with an Egg Donor Program.

Learn more about the program and how to participate