Penn Fertility Care

Patient Resources

Reproductive Health Information

How to Select a Fertility Specialist

There are many questions that need to be answered when determining who to select and/or where to go for fertility care. Due to the sophisticated nature of care that may be needed regarding infertility issues, it is crucial to obtain information about the certification of any potential physicians.

It is important to see an infertility specialist who has completed three additional years of training in a subspecialty of obstetrics and gynecology called reproductive endocrinology and infertility (REI).

In addition, an REI is required to take and pass a separate examination to be granted board certification. This specialized training is called a fellowship. The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania has one of the oldest and most sought after infertility specialist fellowship programs in the country.

Important points to consider when selecting an infertility specialist are:

  • What type of experience and qualifications do the staff and the program have?
  • Are the physicians board-certified in reproductive endocrinology and infertility, not only in obstetrics and gynecology?
  • Are the physicians members of the Society of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (SREI)?
  • Does the program meet American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) guidelines?
  • Is the program a member of SART (Society for Assisted Reproductive Technologies) and are the IVF and andrology laboratories accredited by a national organization such as the College of American Pathologists?
  • What are the success rates of the practice or clinic?
  • What are the conveniences of the program? For example, where is the location, how much work will patients miss, does the staff seem attentive?
  • What is the cost? What are the methods of acceptable payment?
  • What are the range of services the facility offers?