Penn endocrinologists at the Penn Thyroid Center and thyroid nodule clinic are international and national leaders and experts in thyroid disorders and thyroid cancer care.
The Penn Difference in Thyroid Treatment
- Penn's Abramson Cancer Center has the largest thyroid cancer program on the East Coast.
- Susan Mandel, MD, developed the first thyroid nodule clinic in the country, and developed a thyroid nodule clinic – the nation's second – at Penn.
- Penn's thyroid nodule clinic is the only clinic of its kind in the tri-state area.
- The Penn Thyroid Center has an on-site pathologist, providing patients with rapid diagnoses.
- Dr. Mandel is an international leader in thyroid care, and has written widely regarded guidelines for the care of thyroid nodules as well as thyroid disorders in pregnant women.
- Patients at Penn have access to clinical trials for thyroid cancer and thyroid disorders.
- Penn is the only center in the Philadelphia region using dosimetry for thyroid cancer patients. Dosimetry is an instrument that measures the dose of X-rays or other radiation absorbed by matter or the intensity of a source of radiation.