Nutritionists at Penn Medicine work closely with patients to manage their blood glucose levels through nutrition and diet. Individualized nutrition counseling and educational materials assist patients and families with management techniques through diet and exercise.
Through nutrition counseling, patients:
- Learn how to read nutrition labels so they can choose foods wisely
- Get tips for eating out at restaurants
- Understand appropriate portion sizes
- Learn basic principles of a health diet including nutrition requirements for carbohydrates, protein, fat and sodium
- Understand how exercise can be used to help manage glucose levels