IF THE INFANT LOSES CONSCIOUSNESS
If the child becomes unresponsive, stops breathing, or turns blue:
- Shout for help.
- Give infant CPR. Call 911 after one minute of CPR.
- Try to remove an object blocking the airway ONLY if you can see it.
- DO NOT interfere if the infant is coughing forcefully, has a strong cry, or is breathing adequately. However, be ready to act if the symptoms worsen.
- DO NOT try to grasp and pull out the object if the infant is conscious.
- DO NOT perform these steps if the infant stops breathing for other reasons, such as asthma, infection, swelling, or a blow to the head.