Penn Dermatology in Philadelphia has dermatopathologists considered among the best in the United States. As experts in the field of skin pathology, they frequently travel to other medical and academic institutions across the country and around the world to lecture and provide instruction to other dermatologists and dermatopathologists.
Why Choose Penn Dermatology and Dermatopathology
- Penn Dermatology is one of the few dermatology departments in the country with a dedicated dermatopathology laboratory and facilities providing a full range of diagnostic skin studies to referring physicians or to provide patients with a second opinion on previously read studies.
- Penn Dermatology’s expert dermatopathologists and board-certified oral pathologists have more than 100 years of combined experience in specialized fields pertaining to skin, nail, hair and oral conditions, with extensive knowledge in:
- Benign and malignant skin tumors
- Bullous disorders
- Cutaneous lymphoma
- Hair disorders
- Inflammatory and infectious dermatoses
- Nail unit disorders
- Soft-tissue tumors
- The Penn dermatopathology fellowship program attracts exceptional and highly qualified candidates in dermatology or pathology from across the United States and internationally.
- The highly competitive dermatopathology fellowship program trains and produces future leaders in clinical and academic practice. The program includes comprehensive exposure to diagnostic dermatopathology, immunodermatology, correlative clinical dermatology and research. In addition, the program’s structure and physical location affords routine clinical/patient interaction, and fellows routinely work and interface with the Penn Medicine pathology department.
- Penn Dermatology hosts international observers in the dermatopathology program. Two international observers spend one year in the dermatopathology section. These international observerships allow participants to gain knowledge and education in areas of dermatology that will advance patient care in their home countries.