Advantages of Bloodless Medicine and Surgery
Bloodless medicine and surgery is a safe, proven and effective method of treating patients without the use of blood or blood products such as red cells, white cells, platelets and plasma. Best patient blood management is increasingly recognized as the gold standard of care across the country in medicine and surgery for optimal usage of blood products.
Advantages of Bloodless Medicine at Penn
Blood conservation techniques not only improve the management of a patient's blood, but also reduce reliance and associated costs on regional and national blood supplies.
Pennsylvania Hospital's Center for Bloodless Medicine and Surgery has been at the forefront of bloodless medicine and surgery for almost two decades, recognizing that blood transfusion alternatives provide benefits to patients and assist with blood conservation efforts.
Patients who choose bloodless medicine often experience positive outcomes through:
- Faster healing times
- Faster recovery times
- Fewer reactions from blood stored for a longer period of time
- Less chance of infections
- No risks from receiving the wrong blood in error
Hospitals and health care organizations benefit from implementing a best patient blood management program by:
- Reducing the hospital's costs related to maintaining blood inventory
- Reducing unnecessary blood draws
- Reducing the chances of blood transfusion errors
- Reducing risks of infection
- Reducing blood storage-related issues
- Reducing demand for blood and blood products