High-Level Care in a Compassionate Environment
The Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program at Pennsylvania Hospital is committed to helping its patients lose weight and improve their overall health. At the Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program at Pennsylvania Hospital, people suffering from clinically severe (morbid) obesity receive high-level, comprehensive care delivered in a compassionate environment.
Patients enrolled in the Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program at Pennsylvania Hospital benefit from the expertise of the Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery team which is comprised of professionals in surgery, medicine, nursing, psychology, endocrinology, and nutrition. Together, these professionals work to provide each patient with a specialized program that includes surgical weight loss options and a comprehensive, medically supervised weight management program.
The Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program at Pennsylvania Hospital offers:
- Board-certified surgeons with expertise in minimally invasive surgical techniques.
- A clinical nutrition specialist with American Dietetic Association certification in adult weight management.
- A certified diabetes educator.
- A team of endocrinologists specializing in the medical evaluation of severely obese patients.
- Psychologists with clinical expertise in weight and eating disorders.
- A board-certified nurse practitioner who provides pre- and post-operative evaluation, assessment and management.
- Minimally invasive surgical suites.
- Private hospital rooms with bariatric furniture and equipment.
- New PET/CT scanner with bariatric imaging capabilities.
Team and Staff
- Megan Abbott, MSN, CRNP
- Vince Benchino, RD
- Nina Deats, CDE, RD, LDN
- William N. Duffy, MD
- Jody J. Foster, MD, MBA
- Matt L. Kirkland, MD, FACS
- Michael P. Kowitt, PhD, ABPP
- Geoffrey Margo, MD
- Marie McIntyre, MSN, CRNP
- Madelyn Melendez, MA
- Mary O'Neill, MSN, CRNP
- Stephen Rosen, MD
- Alan Schuricht, MD, FACS
- David S. Wernsing, MD, FACS
Unless otherwise indicated, all providers listed are employed by or contracted through the University of Pennsylvania Health System.
|Independent:||Private practice physician who is not employed by the University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) and may or may not have privileges to treat patients at a UPHS hospital.|
|Sub-Specialty Network:||Private practice physician who is affiliated with UPHS, but is not an employee of UPHS and may or may not be on the medical staff of a UPHS hospital.|
|CHOP:||Physician affiliated with the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.|
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.