3400 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Directions & Visitor Information
A Team Approach to Individualized Care
Patients suffering from clinically severe (morbid) obesity benefit from the expertise of the team at the Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Here, professionals in surgery, medicine, nursing, anesthesiology, psychology and nutrition collaborate to provide patients with high-level, comprehensive care in a compassionate environment.
The Bariatric Surgery Program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania has been designated a MBSAQIP Accredited Center - Comprehensive. MBSAQIP is a joint program of the American College of Surgeons and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. The Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program is committed to ensuring patients the best outcomes and quality care possible.
The Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery team at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania works closely with each patient to develop a treatment plan that is best suited to the individual's health needs and weight loss goals. Support groups and nutritional counseling are also key components of the Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
The Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania offers:
- Board-certified surgeons with expertise in minimally invasive surgical techniques.
- An experienced anesthesia team dedicated to the care of severely obese patients.
- Clinical nutrition specialists with American Dietetic Association certification in adult weight management.
- An internist specializing in the medical evaluation of severely obese patients.
- Psychologists with clinical expertise in weight and eating disorders.
- Board-certified nurse practitioners who provide pre- and post-operative evaluation, assessment and management.
- Minimally invasive surgical suites with robotic technology.
- Gastric band adjustments performed in a new fluoroscopy procedure room.
Team and Staff
- Kelly Allison, PhD
- B. Karen Coyne, MSN, CRNP
- Theresa David, MSN, RN
- Lynn Engler, MSN, CRNP
- Anthony Fabricatore, PhD
- Eric P. Greenblatt, MD
- Rachel Griehs, MS, RD, LDN
- Robert Kuehnel, PhD
- Steven E. Raper, MD, FACS
- David B. Sarwer, PhD
- Cara Stewart, RD, LDN
- Robin Stott-McNulty, MSPT
- Colleen Tewksbury, MPH, RD, LDN
- Thomas A. Wadden, PhD
- Samantha Warner-Grimsley, AD, RN, CBN
- Noel N. Williams, MD, FRCSI
Unless otherwise indicated, all providers listed are employed by or contracted through the University of Pennsylvania Health System.
|Independent:||Private practice physician who is not employed by the University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) and may or may not have privileges to treat patients at a UPHS hospital.|
|Sub-Specialty Network:||Private practice physician who is affiliated with UPHS, but is not an employee of UPHS and may or may not be on the medical staff of a UPHS hospital.|
|CHOP:||Physician affiliated with the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.|
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.