3400 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Directions & Visitor Information
A Team Approach to Individualized Care
Patients suffering from clinically severe (morbid) obesity benefit from the expertise of the team at the Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Here, professionals in surgery, medicine, nursing, anesthesiology, psychology and nutrition collaborate to provide patients with high-level, comprehensive care in a compassionate environment.
Designated as a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence® by the American Society for Bariatric Surgery, the Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is committed to ensuring patients the best outcomes possible. With this distinction, the Surgical Review Corporation recognizes Penn surgeons, Noel Williams, MD, FRCSI and Steven Raper, MD, as well as the centers' outstanding facilities and patient care.
The Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery team at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania works closely with each patient to develop a treatment plan that is best suited to the individual's health needs and weight loss goals. Support groups and nutritional counseling are also key components of the Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
The Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania offers:
- Board-certified surgeons with expertise in minimally invasive surgical techniques.
- An experienced anesthesia team dedicated to the care of severely obese patients.
- Clinical nutrition specialists with American Dietetic Association certification in adult weight management.
- An internist specializing in the medical evaluation of severely obese patients.
- Psychologists with clinical expertise in weight and eating disorders.
- Board-certified nurse practitioners who provide pre- and post-operative evaluation, assessment and management.
- Minimally invasive surgical suites with robotic technology.
- Gastric band adjustments performed in a new fluoroscopy procedure room.
Team and Staff
- Kelly Allison, PhD
- B. Karen Coyne, MSN, CRNP
- Theresa David, MSN, RN
- Lynn Engler, MSN, CRNP
- Anthony Fabricatore, PhD
- Eric P. Greenblatt, MD
- Rachel Griehs, MS, RD, LDN
- Robert Kuehnel, PhD
- Steven E. Raper, MD, FACS
- David B. Sarwer, PhD
- Cara Stewart, RD, LDN
- Robin Stott-McNulty, MSPT
- Colleen Tewksbury, MPH, RD, LDN
- Thomas A. Wadden, PhD
- Samantha Warner-Grimsley, AD, RN, CBN
- Noel N. Williams, MD, FRCSI
Unless otherwise indicated, all providers listed are employed by or contracted through the University of Pennsylvania Health System.
|Independent:||Private practice physician who is not employed by the University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) and may or may not have privileges to treat patients at a UPHS hospital.|
|Sub-Specialty Network:||Private practice physician who is affiliated with UPHS, but is not an employee of UPHS and may or may not be on the medical staff of a UPHS hospital.|
|CHOP:||Physician affiliated with the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.|
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.