The Penn Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program offers patients who are morbidly obese the latest surgical procedures as tools to achieve a healthy lifestyle. These procedures are performed by Penn's highly skilled, multidisciplinary team of bariatric specialists, many of whom are leaders in the field of obesity treatment.
Would you like to support Penn Bariatric Surgery? Make a donation now.
With more than 20 years of experience in weight loss surgery, the Penn Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program collectively performs more than 700 procedures each year, making it the most active in the greater Philadelphia region. The Penn Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program has also performed more than 500 robotic LAP-BAND® procedures and is a leader in revision surgery.
World-Class Patient Care
- Penn offers the most comprehensive range of weight loss services in the region, including consultative services and surgical treatment options. Penn specialists personalize treatment plans to match the needs of each patient.
- The Penn Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program provides services in an environment of compassionate intervention and goal-oriented care. This excellence in patient care is provided from consultation through treatment.
- As a high-volume center, Penn metabolic and bariatric specialists routinely perform procedures that may be done only occasionally at other locations. Studies have shown that centers performing higher volumes of procedures have better patient outcomes.
- Penn physicians, nurses and clinical staff create a supportive environment for patients. They understand what it's like to be on the patient's side of the table, they listen, and they tailor recommendations and care plans to each patient's individual needs.
- Penn's metabolic and bariatric clinicians teach the next generation of leaders, so they are not only well-versed in the latest clinical practices today, but also are developing promising treatment options for tomorrow.
- As a national leader in basic science, translational research and clinical trials, Penn offers patients access to the latest treatment options before they are widely available elsewhere in the region.
- Penn's research programs are funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and are at the forefront of innovation.
Comprehensive Educational Experiences
- The University of Pennsylvania's School of Medicine is ranked second in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
- High volume clinical services allow trainees to gain expertise with both common and unusual weight disorders.
- Penn attracts residents and fellows with strong academic and leadership skills, giving trainees the opportunity to learn alongside some of the most talented and accomplished physicians, residents and fellows in the world.
- The Penn Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program's facilities use today's most advanced technology.
- Penn's collaborative environment fosters productive interaction among fellow trainees, physicians from other disciplines and faculty.
- Graduates of Penn's residency and fellowship programs are highly recruited for leadership positions in academic medicine.
State-of-the-Art Research and Technology
- Penn Medicine's clinical and research programs are closely aligned with the National Institutes of Health (NIH) roadmap initiative, emphasizing research that has a direct effect on patient outcomes.
- Penn Medicine has been awarded several highly competitive grants and selected to participate in landmark clinical trials, including a recent NIH-funded study exploring the mechanism involved in type 2 diabetes in patients with a BMI between 30 and 40.
- As one of the most stimulating academic environments in the world, new researchers can expect to collaborate and learn from some of the best minds in medicine in an interactive, highly networked and supportive working environment.
- Researchers at Penn Medicine have the opportunity to solve significant problems in their respective fields.
- Penn clinicians are pioneering the most advanced techniques and devices for the treatment of morbid obesity.
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.