Penn Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine is a unique medical practice that focuses solely on the needs of young women and men ages 12 to 30. The practice provides primary care in a comprehensive manner with a full understanding of the physical and psychological changes associated with the transition to adulthood. Janice K. Hillman, MD, FACP, Mercedes Timko, MD and Deepti Thapar, MD, are an outstanding team with a wealth of experience in providing health care services to teens and young adults.
When patients visit the practice, they are assured that the visit is strictly confidential. Patients decide whether they would like their parents to attend the visit. Some prefer to be accompanied by one or both parents/guardians, but it is entirely up to the patients.
Patients should bring:
- A copy of their medical records for the first visit. Patients can obtain their records by contacting their previous primary care provider.
- Co-payment and insurance information.
- Diagnosis and treatment of acute illnesses
- Physicals for school, sports camp and college
- Driver's license exam and work physicals
- Health care services for college students
- Pelvic exams, including the first exam
- Evaluation for irregular or missed periods
- Birth control counseling and services
- Emergency contraception
- Evaluation for sexually transmitted diseases
- Routine gynecological examinations
- Male contraception
- Eating disorders
- Managing and coordinating care for chronic illness, stress, depression or anxiety
- Drug and alcohol use
- Smoking cessation
- Managing conflicts with parents, siblings, teachers and peers
This practice has been recognized as a Patient-Centered Medical Home by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). A Patient-Centered Medical Home is a model of care that strengthens the physician-patient relationship through accessibility, excellent communication and utilizing the latest information technology.
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.